Old 25-05-2006, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

Default Mealworms

On Thu, 25 May 2006 16:56:47 +0100, doobydoobydo wrote
(in article ):

Yeah but its so much fun. Today I saw a mother blackbird feeding her two
fledglings and a starling feeding 4 fledglings, that is until blackbird
decided to have a go at the starlings. Feisty little birds blackbirds they
had a go at a Jay the other day, very territorial, I wouldn't have minded
but believe it or not I have never seen a before, couldn't believe how big
they are. Can't stand starlings really - greedy birds- but babies are cute
and look so different.

By the way Sacha I've found UK.rec.birdwatching is a good newsgroup, if you
need to ask anything about birds.

PS it is the goldfinches that love nyger seed its the greenfinches I think
that love the sunflower hearts and sunflowers whole. Don't forget you need
a special feeder for Nyger as it apparently blows away easily. Nyger and
thistle seed hangers have just a slit in the tube rather than a hole.

Some good birdie links
http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/

http://www.birdsofbritain.co.uk/bird-guide/index.htm

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/index.asp

Sheila

Thanks and yes, I'd mixed up my finches! We have a clear plastic tube feeder
for the niger seed and it seems to do the trick of containing that very fine
seed. I've posted at the bird group a couple of times and they are indeed,
very helpful but I do find that most of the fairly simple stuff I 'need to
know' is answered here because most gardeners seem to take a pretty keen
interest in the birds and other wildlife in their own garden or
neighbourhood.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk