Old 25-05-2006, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

Default Wisteria in a pot?

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Charlie Pridham wrote:
La Puce, try increasing light levels if you can, stop using pelleted

chicken
manure as it encourages growth rather than flower, prune only in

July/August
not in the winter or bend some stems down and train horizontally and be
patient, they all flower eventually :~)

Thank you very much for the info. The profusion of leaves this year is
evident that I do something wrong. I've made a fan shaped trellis above
the porch in the hope that it would be covered of flowers ... I will
prune it but why bend some stems down? Do they prefer flowering
horizontally?

Wisteria in the wild grow up very large trees, like Ivy they have two growth
forms a leafy strong growing getting there one, and once at the top of the
tree they switch to a flowering growth with a lot less extension growth.
tricking them into thinking they have reached the top of their tall tree
involves restricting sap flow in the stems by either cutting them off in
July and August or bending them down (which is what happens in nature) -
This will make most climbers flower more incidentally not just Wisteria.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk