Old 25-05-2006, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lyndon

Default chickweed in new lawn

"Rob Barrett" wrote in message
Well, I used my study breaks this lovely afternoon to start pulling it
up -- fairly satisfying (even mildly addicting). The big clumps give bang
for the buck, while the new, little plants just pop easily out (though
there are soooo many of them). I'm surprised a periennial has such a weak
root system. The older plants with multiple stems do seem to require
working back to the main stem to keep from breaking pieces off. If I do it
this way, I'll have no lack of time-passing activity, nor will I lack
compost matter!

Any suggestions for how this happened to this one area of lawn and what to
do to prevent it happening again?

My guess would be that you didn't leave enough time between preparing the
site and planting the grass seed. You need to give any weeds that have been
disturbed in this nice new growing medium a chance to start growing, then
pull them out or administer lethal doses of nasty chemicals, then sow the
grass seed.

Just for completeness, I tried spraying Verdone on a little bit of the
worst place, just to see what would happen.

Ah. I like that. So before long you will *know* whether or not it was a good
idea instead of taking other people's ideas.

I'd love to know what happens to the grass because I'd be too timid to try
it myself.

--
Lyndon