Old 25-05-2006, 10:35 PM
kev02_02 kev02_02 is offline
Registered User

Default advice on laying a lawn needed

Hi- im looking for help- ive been asked to lay a small new lawn at a neighbours garden. The soil they have is approximately 3 inches thick at present and below this is a concrete base. I assume the concrete is draining water away at its end as the soil is not wet despite it being raining heavy here the last few days. So water retention should not be as bigger problem as one would think.

I have informed the owner that they are likely to get a poor quality lawn with concrete below the current level of soil. However they accept this as they just want a small grassy area for their small toddlers to play on. I was wondering how much further topsoil to add to the current soil to at least get enough growth so a grassy area will be established.

Also would a seed lawn or a turf lawn be best in this circumstance?As i say the person is not after a high quality lawn just a small area with grass on it. I was thinking seed would be best as the turf wouldnt take at all? Could anyone advise?

cheers