Old 26-05-2006, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Barrett

Default chickweed in new lawn

Lyndon wrote:
"Rob Barrett" wrote in message
Any suggestions for how this happened to this one area of lawn and what to
do to prevent it happening again?

My guess would be that you didn't leave enough time between preparing the
site and planting the grass seed. You need to give any weeds that have been
disturbed in this nice new growing medium a chance to start growing, then
pull them out or administer lethal doses of nasty chemicals, then sow the
grass seed.

Possible, but I spent probably a couple of months preparing the site as
you suggest. Maybe they just weren't germinating in the late summer,
early fall?

Just for completeness, I tried spraying Verdone on a little bit of the
worst place, just to see what would happen.

Ah. I like that. So before long you will *know* whether or not it was a good
idea instead of taking other people's ideas.

I'd love to know what happens to the grass because I'd be too timid to try
it myself.

I guess it's the physicist in me....