Old 26-05-2006, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default advice on laying a lawn needed

kev02_02 wrote:
Hi- im looking for help- ive been asked to lay a small new lawn at a
neighbours garden. The soil they have is approximately 3 inches thick
at present and below this is a concrete base. I assume the concrete is
draining water away at its end as the soil is not wet despite it being
raining heavy here the last few days. So water retention should not be
as bigger problem as one would think.

I have informed the owner that they are likely to get a poor quality
lawn with concrete below the current level of soil. However they
accept this as they just want a small grassy area for their small
toddlers to play on. I was wondering how much further topsoil to add
to the current soil to at least get enough growth so a grassy area will
be established.

Also would a seed lawn or a turf lawn be best in this circumstance?As i
say the person is not after a high quality lawn just a small area with
grass on it. I was thinking seed would be best as the turf wouldnt
take at all? Could anyone advise?

you/he may also have a problem keeping water in. Would be a good idea
to dig in compost if there's not much organic matter in there now. If
you prepare properly I think turves should take - they're certainly
more of an instant garden than seeding.