Old 26-05-2006, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Suggestions for backyard trees

Dr- thanks for the pics of the kousa in the front yard. I love the
flowers it puts out...does it bear fruit though? I've heard alot of
flowering trees bear fruit of various sizes...the smaller, less
conspicuous and less messy the better for me. Of course that may not be
possible in the smaller trees I'm interested in.

Bill thanks for the suggestions...I've been trying to find some pics of
stewardia or franklinia without much success. They seem to be rare
trees that are difficult to find --which doesn't discourage me though.

The kousa you mentioned has great flowers and appears to about the
right size, but I wanted to know do the lower branches get far off the
ground? The reason I ask is I'd like to maximize my backyard view of
the sunset under the canopy of the trees if possible so a tree that
branches near the ground would let me do that.

I'm sure I'm being too picky, but if there is a flowering tree out
there that's not too tall and branches 3-4 off the ground then maybe
some more educated folks might be able to point me in the right
direction.

Thanks again for all your help
Tim