Old 26-05-2006, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Salmon Egg

Default Am I suffocating my plants?

On 5/26/06 8:51 AM, in article
, "tmo"
wrote:

Last night, with the weather forecast predicting lows in the 40s, a
friend suggested I cover my tomato and pepper plants. I put dry cleaner
plastic over the tomatos and glass jars over the peppers. This morning,
with the weather forecast predicting showers and highs in the mid 50s,
I decided I could just leave the plants covered. I figured the plastic
would divert any rainwater to the base of the tomato and I could water
the peppers tomorrow.

Now at work, however, I began to wonder if leaving the peppers under
the glass jars would deprive them of oxygen? The plants are small, not
more than 4 or 5 inches tall and the jars are inverted resting directly
on the soil.

Should I have removed the jars, or at least raised them slightly off
the ground? And are the tomatos ok?

Tia,
tmo

You worry too much about oxygen. In sunlight, plants produce oxygen--not
consume it. If you are worried about such things, oxygen which is not used
in quantity is in about 20% concentration, while carbon dioxide which is
used in quantity by green plants is in less than 0.1% concentration.

Bill
-- Ferme le Bush