Old 17-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default Snowdrop planting

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

"Jack" wrote in message
Yesterday I received a shipment of snowdrops in the green. I know

snowdrops
need to be planted immediately and not allowed to dry out.

The area where I want to plant the snowdrops already has spring

bulbs which
are either in bloom or soon will be, so I can't plant the snowdrops

there
without disturbing these other spring bulbs.

My question is, can I plant the snowdrops into containers for a

month or
two, and then replant them into their permanent place in the border?

Thanks.

Yes "~)
Jenny

Sorry, don't agree. By the time you plant out the snowdrops they
will have lost their foliage so you negate the whole point of buying
them in the green, which is that snowdrops with full leaves and roots
take well to transplanting; bare snowdrop bulbs often have a much lower
success rate.

I would plant them now, dividing them into small clumps of 3 or 4
bulbs, and plant them using a large knife to make the smallest possible
planting slit in spaces between your other bulbs. Slide the snowdrops in
and press the slit closed with your hand. It's a method I've used
successfully to plant thousands of snowdrops.

Janet.