Old 26-05-2006, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy

Default Carrot Failure

"Ade" wrote in message
My first allotment, my first failure (and I've only sowed 4 things!).
Carrots. I sowed 2 types (Early Nantes and Flyaway) but not a one has
germinated. The Early Nantes were seed tapes, the Flyaway were normal
seeds, and I followed the packet directions. Is there a secret knack to
growing carrots or what?

My onions and shallots are doing well, as are my spuds. Oh, spinach, I
just
remembered I've also sowed spinach and I haven't seen them either.

I'll sow another couple of rows of carrots and spinach, so if anyone has
any
tips please let me know!

Ta!

Look at the 'Carrot Disaster' thread two days back. It's a common problem,
and as for spinach, I had two germinate out of an eight foot row. You have
clay soil? You have neglected the slug/snail threat? Sometimes the weather
doesn't help germination and they rot off.

Andy.