Old 26-05-2006, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Craddock

Default leaf cutter uk

"stevej" wrote in message
Hi,

Could you please advise if the leaf cutter ant could live in the UK.
I have
busy lizzies, petunia's, fuchia's which all have mouth shaped bits
missing
from the leaves. Or if not, any thoughts on what thias coule be.

If it is relevant I am in Northern England where it has been very
wet of
late.

Almost certainly adult Vine Weevil - the plants you list are frequent
victims.
Chemical solution - Provado Vine Weevil Killer
Bio-control - Nemasys ( A product containing parasitic nematodes that
attack the larvae)
The leaf damage by adults is trivial, root damage by larvae is
devastating. Look out for collapsing plants with white maggots up to
about 12mm long in the compost where the roots used to be.
The adult is a dark dull grey slow moving weevil about 10mm long.
Loads of images available if you Google for them.

--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.