Old 27-05-2006, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy

Default Carrot Failure

"Ade" wrote in message
"Ade" wrote
My first allotment, my first failure (and I've only sowed 4 things!).
Carrots. I sowed 2 types (Early Nantes and Flyaway) but not a one has
germinated.

Look at the 'Carrot Disaster' thread two days back. It's a common
problem,
and as for spinach, I had two germinate out of an eight foot row. You
have
clay soil? You have neglected the slug/snail threat? Sometimes the
weather
doesn't help germination and they rot off.

I didn't realise carrots were difficult to germinate. I've done a Google
and come up with a site that gives hints on improving germination:
http://www.rnzih.org.nz/pages/growing-carrots.htm

Hmmm, too late for this year, but some interesting tips. I can say that
planted in general purpose compost in the greenhouse, Early Nantes achieves
a very high germination rate. I've got loads coming along in a tray, but now
I face the problem of transplanting them outside, and they famously dislike
transplantation. I guess I'll just have to try it and see, they're about an
inch high at the moment, if I leave it any longer they'll be difficult to
disentangle from each other. Just waiting for some kinder weather.

BTW I sowed my outdoor carrots in special drill which was mainly compost, so
avoiding the problem of heavy clay soil. Germination was still patchy, but I
know for a fact slugs/snails nearly annihalated several young seedlings in
one small area since I could see their stumps: in fact, these have recovered
but are well behind and have uncharacteristically small leaves. Had I not
terminated slugs/snails with extreme prejudice every night since I noticed
the damage I daresay I'd have lost a lot more. As it it I'm guessing at a
10% survival rate.

Andy