Old 27-05-2006, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

Default Another snail barrier test

On Fri, 26 May 2006 18:15:46 -0230, cloud dreamer
wrote:

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

On Fri, 26 May 2006 15:46:04 -0230, cloud dreamer
wrote:

But not much good unless you're trying to get rid of them in a confined
area. If the area is not confined, it's too labour intensive to be
maintaining the bait. Much easier to buy a few bags of mulch or separate
the area with rough lumber.

I believe my snails and slugs must be made of tougher stuff than
yours. Rough boards don't even slow them down, and both mulch and
boards just give them a good place to hide from the sun.

The barrier of rough lumber is meant to be dug down into the ground an
inch or two - the slugs will not be able to hide under there. I use
rough 4x4 (truly rough) and surround them with mulch. I have yet to see
a slug or snail in the beds.

As I said, my snails and slugs must be made of tougher stuff than
yours.

Besides, beer cups are not labor intensive at all, unless you consider
a leisurely stroll around your garden hard labor.

From my experience, it was messy, disgusting and time consuming.
Disposing of the snails and slugs, cleaning refilling the
containers...it's not leisurely to me in the least.

Hm, apparently I'm made of tougher stuff than you.

Not to mention the cost of having to keep them filled....cheap beer or
no. Then if you slip up or don't have enough traps out....the buggers
will go for the next best thing...the lettuce sitting right next to the
traps. At least mulch and wood (properly done) is a consistent deterrent.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Just admit it. My snails and slugs can kick
your snails and slugs' sticky little bottoms. They'd break off
splinters from your rough boards and impale your sad, sorry,
slime-challenged snails and slugs, and leave their oozing bodies
to wither in the sun as a warning to all the others.

Penelope

- "pointed"