Old 27-05-2006, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

Default BBC at Chelsea

On Sat, 27 May 2006 09:12:24 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote
(in article ):

On 26 May 2006 04:40:23 -0700, "
wrote:

Gardeners World at Chelsea. Excellent TV. First time I've watched this
-- is it on every year?
I thought 1 hour per evening would be overkill, but it is fine.

The thing that struck me with today's coverage (including the lunchtime
slot) were three people :-

a) the Japanese chap who designed the best in show small garden.
They showed him doing a "speed" flower arrangement at lunchtime. He
produced a rather nice bouquet for Nicki Chapman in about 65 seconds -
amazing to watch. Apparently he is very famous in Japan for his flower
arrangements.

Yes but if they're ikebana it only TAKES 65 seconds. That's a joke, BTW -
they can take hours to arrange three twigs and a daffodil! The Japanese
'vignette' that I thoroughly enjoyed was when they won their medal and one of
the designers was seen leaping up and down and cavorting with excitement and
delight. I always think of Japanese people as being rather restrained but he
gave the lie to that one!

b) that 9 year old lad with the allotment. Clearly very good with
his plants and full of enthusiasm. I think we've just seen the future
Alan Titchmarsh.

Wasn't he lovely? And so full of delight in his plants and gardening AND of
being able to appear on telly with his hero, AT.

c) the lady who was 100 years of age who was involved in flower
arrangement and been to Chelsea 60 years (?) running. She looked
absolutely astounding for 100 years old and was clearly in full command
of her faculties as she was lucid and fun to listen to.

I thought she was great and still full of spirit and enjoyment.

I must be getting old, though -- the flower show is sponsored by Saga!

I obviously didn't look quite old to be given a SAGA bag when I visited
;-)

Good job we didn't go then. ;-)

--
Sacha