Old 27-05-2006, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

Default leaf cutter uk

On Fri, 26 May 2006 14:35:08 +0100, "stevej" wrote:

Hi,

Could you please advise if the leaf cutter ant could live in the UK. I have
busy lizzies, petunia's, fuchia's which all have mouth shaped bits missing
from the leaves. Or if not, any thoughts on what thias coule be.

If it is relevant I am in Northern England where it has been very wet of
late.

MTIA
Linda

Last year, I noticed leaf-cutter bees bringing leaf segments into the
greenhouse and disappearing up through the drainage holes of pots of
succulents that I had in there. This year, on knocking out the pots,
in each one I found about half-a-dozen little brown tubes looking just
like tiny cigars, presumably the cocoons or whatever that the bees
constructed from the leaf segments. Most had an open end and appeared
empty, but I collected them together and tucked them away in a dry
spot in the garden, just in case some still had residents.

--
Chris