Old 28-05-2006, 06:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

Default Planting pumpkins

"Mike S." wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to plant some pumpkins but I don't know where to plant them. I
want to make sure they're planted out of the way. Can they be planted
just about anywhere, despite the soil, dirt, etc.? Could I just go out
and dig a hole in the ground and put the seeds in or do they require
more care/work/etc. than that?

Pumpkins need full sun and do best in a rich soil with watering when it's
dry. Dig in compost and a good general vegetable fertilizer. Give them
plenty of room to grow and spread out. For the biggest pumpkins remove all
but a few per vine.

Check out this site: http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/pumpkins/