Old 28-05-2006, 08:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
tenplay

Default Using newspaper to prevent weeds

Someone in this dg recently suggested using layers of newspaper to
prevent weeds. I have a 10x12 area on the side of the house that is not
used for anything but always gets overgrown with weeds. It is used
primarily as just a passageway between the front and back yards. Not
wanting to use chemicals if not necessary, I am thinking of using
newspaper with a layer of wood chips or mulch. How exactly do you lay
the newspaper to be most effective? How thick of a layer? Should it be
wet or dry? About how long before it has to be replaced? How does it
compare with the commercial black weed prevention sheets? Thanks for
any advice.