Old 28-05-2006, 08:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Default Watering potted tomatoes

Mike S. wrote:
I'm trying to grow tomatoes in a pot (one plant per large pot). How
often should they be watered and how much water should they get? I also
don't know if I should use some sort of drip irrigation system
(something simple like soda bottles) or just water them by hand with a
watering can. How often should I use plant food?

I have what I call a thumb of death. I cannot grow plants at all. In
fact, I can't even grow potted grass for my indoor cats. So obviously,
I need some help. On the bright side, my tomato plants haven't died,
yet.

LOL ~ YOU too? Thumb of death is the funniest thing I have read.
Years ago at our other house in New Jersey we had something called a
Square Foot Garden, where by the same principle occurred.

My husband provided a drainage system to eliminate root rot.
In that they were outside, it rained quite often that summer so I had
to make sure they had miracle grow. Perhaps there is a special MG
for vegetables.
I realize putting them in the ground one must wait, yet I see the Amish
farmers already have planted corn, tomatoes and many others veggies.

Here is a site for SFG.
http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

Good luck. If it will make you feel better Mike, my house plants look
at me and decide to die.

I give them to our daughter-in-law and she looks them over realizing
they were in the wrong window, or not getting adequate feeding of MG.
Looking for small white flies, flying when the plant is disturbed or
shaken. White fly lives on the under side of upper leaves. She sprays
them with an oil oil spray weekly, until no flies are present. This
heavy spray will kind of glue the white fly in place and smother them.

Thanks for your humor and fun. No I am not usually up this early or
late.
Had Chinese food last night and if I see another Tum I will Barf.
So I am sitting her sipping ginger ale.
Bette