Old 15-02-2003, 07:03 PM
Gene Schurg

Default mini phals

Rajiv,

There are many "mini" phals. There is a whole industry of breeding going on
that is trying to produce smaller plants that fit in a windowsill
environment. Many of them have equestris as a parent.

If they have "little" or "mini" in the name and are multifloral, that is
usually a hint that they will be smaller free blooming plants. Many of the
smaller phals still only bloom annually.

A couple that I can tell you are smaller are Phal Little Steve (small plant
with small purple flowers), Phal MiniMark (small plant with white and peachy
tiny flowers), Phal Fantasy Musick (tiny white and purple flowers), Phal
Carmela Pixie (medium size plant with lots of medium sized purple flowers).

Also consider species phals. Many of them remain very small and are cute
little flowers that are best enjoyed in a smaller space where you can enjoy
them up close. Phal tetrespis, equestris, bastiani, and many others are
very available via the web and are sweet plants you could grow in limited
space. You could have a collection of just different equetris plants (alba,
semi-alba, upright blooms and lanscapis).

I'm sure everyone here who grows phals has a favorite that they could
recommend to you.

Good Growing,
Gene

"rajiv" wrote in message
om...
Thanks to everyone who answered my earlier query about phal species.
Now i read that phal equestris hybrids are usually miniature in size
and free blooming. I think it would be great if i could get some mini
phals to add to my collection, as i live under severe space
restrictions.

Any suggestions for sources of mini phals. Browsing through the
vendor's websites does not give much idea about plant size and its
parentage.

rajiv