Old 28-05-2006, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

Default Watering potted tomatoes

Mike S. wrote:
I'm trying to grow tomatoes in a pot (one plant per large pot). How
often should they be watered and how much water should they get? I also
don't know if I should use some sort of drip irrigation system
(something simple like soda bottles) or just water them by hand with a
watering can. How often should I use plant food?

I have what I call a thumb of death. I cannot grow plants at all. In
fact, I can't even grow potted grass for my indoor cats. So obviously,
I need some help. On the bright side, my tomato plants haven't died,
yet.

Mike,

You will likely have to water them daily (it depends on how big your
containers are and what type of potting mixture you used). The drip
systems work fairly well, but again, it depends on the potting mixture
you used. How often you will need to feed your plants depends on what
fertilizer you use. For containers, I like the slow release ones. You
only need to use them several times a season.

I grow over a two dozen different varieties of tomatoes and I do like to
grow a few of them in containers. There are quite a few of the smaller
varieties that do very well in containers. Some of them grow less than
a foot tall and produce a fairly large crop for their size.

As far as your remark that you have "a thumb of death", I don't believe
that there is any such affliction. Gardening is knowledge,
watchfulness, and hard work. Even after more than 40 years of gardening
it is still a constant learning experience for me. Every season there
are things that work and things that don't work. Learn from the things
that don't work and try something new each year. And keep reading this
newsgroup. We will do our best to make a gardener out of you.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL