Old 28-05-2006, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

Default green pepper eater

Rabbits and deer. And, you'd better watch out with those canning jars.
They're going to act like little greenhouses and cook your plants. It's not
a matter of "if", but "when".

"Not@home" wrote in message
We like green peppers, so I start them inside, set the tray of seedlings
outside for a week, then transplant them into the garden. Some insect or
animal eats off the leaves after we transplant them, and they die.

We solved the problem by placing large canning jars over the seedlings for
a few days. I'm really curious what kind of pest would attack a newly
planted seedling, but won't attack it a week or two later when we remove
the jars. No other seedlings are attacked. Any ideas? This is in Ohio,
zone 5.