Old 28-05-2006, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Elbrecht

Default Using newspaper to prevent weeds

On Sun, 28 May 2006 11:17:45 -0700, tenplay wrote:
-snip-
Thanks for the helpful info. So if I plan on never planting anything in
the area and keeping it permanently as a passageway between the front
and back yards, it sounds like using weed mats (longer lasting than
newspaper) is the way to go. Perhaps gravel might be even better. Do
you agree?

If you want it to be [more or less] permanent- then use a good weed
barrier *and* 4" or so of gravel. The weed barrier will help keep
the gravel from mixing with the soil below.

Read the labels on weed barriers. Some are only guaranteed for a
couple years. I've seen others that say they last 20 yrs.

Jim