Old 29-05-2006, 02:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

Default Lily-of-the-valley

The message

In article . com,
"Martin Pentreath" writes:
| Alan Holmes wrote:
|
| And remember they always travel north so do not plant them on a
south facing
| fence/wall.
|
| Not sure I understand this - I'm about to plant some. Do you mean that
| when they spread of their own accord that they tend to do so only
| towards the north?

They don't like hot, dry or sunny conditions during their growing season
(spring and early summer). They prefer half shade to full, light shade.
Much like bluebells.

I have some Lily-of-the Valley growing in quite dense shade. They are
spreading happily but not flowering. Is this is likely to be lack of
light?

Janet G