Old 29-05-2006, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

Default garden birds

On Mon, 29 May 2006 14:04:16 +0100, Klara wrote
(in article ):

Since we started summer feeding two years ago, there has been a huge
decline in the numbers of birds and numbers of species coming for the
food: a tenth the number of various kinds of tits and of blackbirds,
etc., and, most worryingly, no parents of any kind feeding young except
crows, magpies, and jackdaws. I blamed it on the sparrowhawk, as there
are very few cats around here. However, there are ever more squirrels,
surrounded, as we are, by the Evelyn chestnuts.

And then:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...05/29/nsquir29.
xml&sSheet=/news/2006/05/29/ixuknews.html

so that's it ;-(((

It certainly is. We get some squirrels here but not many and it's a brave
cat that ventures into our garden, as we have 3 dogs of our own and one that
visits most days. While I do appreciate that people love their cats, there
is no doubt that they contribute dreadfully to the loss of wild birds and I
wish people could either restrain themselves to owning one at a time, or
putting bells on them.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk