Old 29-05-2006, 07:10 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Default Frogs in ponds

Galen Hekhuis wrote:

They [snakes] are incredibly fast and sneaky, and get a frog every now
and then, but the frogs are also fast and extremely wary, and get away
much
more often than not. It's almost enough to make you pity the snake.

Indeed. I once watched a large bullfrog fight a mud snake. The frog sat on
a rock, and the snake circled him in the water for at least 15 minutes.
Either one could probably have eaten the other - though whether the snake
could have made it to shore with that bullfrog inside, is doubtful! The
snake would make periodic lunges, but the frog always seemed to know when
he would try, and the snake wasn't having any success. The garter snakes
around home probably have a much simpler time with the toads - a frog in or
near water is much more agile than on dry land.

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
Hell hath no fury like a bird in the hand.

LOL! I have a colleague who's an avid birder and runs a banding station in
Nova Scotia - while he knows how to handle them, he has great stories about
new banders and their injuries :-)
--
derek