Old 29-05-2006, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default garden birds

Alan Holmes writes

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
Klara wrote:

Since we started summer feeding two years ago, there has been a huge
decline in the numbers of birds and numbers of species coming for the
food: a tenth the number of various kinds of tits and of blackbirds,
etc., and, most worryingly, no parents of any kind feeding young except
crows, magpies, and jackdaws.

We have two active farms, one at either end of our village. At my end the
farmer is very proactive in destroying corvids to protect his lambs. At
the other the farmer does nothing to control these pests. Surprise,
surprise, we have dozens of species of song-bird feeding in our garden.
Villagers at the other end are wondering why they have none. Forget the
cats - get a Larsen trap.

I couldn't find corvid in my dictionary!

A member of the crow family

But if you mean the damned tree rats, then these should be destroyed, I have
three traps, but this year, so far, haven't caught a single one, did well
last year and the year before that though.

Maybe you've killed them all and can now relax ;-)
--
Kay