Old 29-05-2006, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lily-of-the-valley

Nick Maclaren writes

In article ,
K writes:

| I have some Lily-of-the Valley growing in quite dense shade. They are
| spreading happily but not flowering. Is this is likely to be lack of
| light?
|
| I wouldn't have thought so. I have some in a north facing garden under a
| magnolia stellata with branches to the ground, and more under a dwarf
| willow - both sets flowering well

Both are deciduous, so there will be light and water in spring. Even
bluebells don't do well under evergreens, even when there is plenty of
water.

Both had good leaf cover before the lily of the valley appeared, so I'm
not sure how valid the argument about light is. Water is likely to be
the key factor.
--
Kay