Old 29-05-2006, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Me here

Default Lawn advice - dead grass

"George.com" wrote in message

"Me here" wrote in message

don't simply use a standard mower that takes a catcher as this will

mulch
the grass into big clumps, vreate an uneven dispersal over the grass
and
leave piles that could rot in wet weather and rot your grass as well.

Use
proper mulching mower. The obly exception I have found to that rule is

in
summer when giving the lawn a very light mow and my standard rotary

mower
cuts of a fine enough lay of grass that quickly dries on the grass.

Not strictly true Rob,
If a Rotary blade is spinning fast enough it should throw the debris to

the
collection bag without leaving trails.

Agreed. I was meaning however using a standard rotary mower without the
catcher as a pseudo mulcher. I have never seen a rotary with a catcher
properly mulch lawn. It blows it out the back in clumps and the cut was
too
chunky to quickly decay. Thats why I suggested using a proper mulching
mower.

Obviously in your trade you may have come across a standard catcher rotary
that does do a good job of mulching without the catcher. I am talking from
experience with your bog standard common garden variety lawn mowers,
nothing
fancy. I will defer to your opinion on this point.

I see where you are coming from.

Standard rotarys are good enough to lop the long stuff quite nicely, but
often the ground is so uneven that a reel mower produces an uneven looking
cut so a rotary is the better choice.

I have seen rotarys with a roller on the front, this is to condition the
leaf in preparation for the blade, although I haven't seen any decent
finishes with a rotary other than the squashed in one direction grass that
is left after the run.

You can't beat a reel mower correctly sharpened or dressed on the bottom
blade with a file to produce a good stripe.
Look at a Golf course fairway after it's been cut, there will be clods of
cuttings everywhere.

It's a rich and pedantic Greenkeeper that can afford the time and the
machine to remove the cuttings.