Old 30-05-2006, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ralph D.

Default When do you divide iris?

"Fragile Warrior" wrote in message
Now or in the fall? And when do you decide they NEED dividing? Should it
be done routinely just to propagate more each year? We had the most
gorgeous iris* come up in the garden and I want to make sure that THIS one
blooms profusely next year.

*purple and white marbled -- I really love it

Here is one of the best dividing sites I've seen for Irises.

http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_divide_iris.html

Our Irises never seem to be real profuse the first year after but then WOW!
We are a little disappointed that this year we had a hard freeze at the
point where our purple and blues were to pop, but the peach that always run
few weeks behind are showing nicer than they ever have. At least we hope it
was just the weather that ruined the others' blooms.

Anyhow... try that link... it seems to have the best of many sites rolled
into it.

HTH, YMMV