Old 29-05-2006, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

Default Rejuvinating a Holly

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Davy" writes:
P.K.
thanks for responding almost immediately. I never doubted the
advice given; my question was that "will cutting back just a couple
of branches will cause those branches to generate new shoots" - or
will the tree put its growth into the 90% unpruned branches -
letting the couple of pruned branches remain mostly bare?

More the former than the latter.

Correct, beacuse cutting off the leaves/groing points cuts off the supply of
hormone that suppresses bud growth behind the growing tip

(sorry for misinterpreting the original question)

pk