Old 30-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Edward H Edward H is offline
Registered User

Hello Michelle,

I don't know where you are posting from. If you are in the uk then the only snales that would be attracted to frogs and ponds are grass snakes, which are both harmless, and I believe protected by law. In which case leave them alone and take pleasure in their presence

If you are in a country with a richer reptile fauna (like the USA) then it is possible that the pond the snakes are not harmless. Having said that the majority of snakes ARE harmless, and there are American cousins to the European grass snake, as well as plenty of other semi-aquatic species that are as safe as the frogs (but quieter in the evenings). Rather than go through all the hassle of draining, putting out toxic products etc first find out what kind of snake you saw - innocent until proven guilty.

I wish I had snakes and frogs in my garden. I suspect if I tried introducing them the local cats would have them pretty quick.

best wishes

Edward