Old 30-05-2006, 06:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Claire Petersky

Default Sunchokes

"tenplay" wrote in message
glenon wrote:
How do I harvest these? Mine throw out stems, leaves and beautiful
sunflower like flower. I had to saw down one area as it was too close to
the house, replanted some in better areas. Mind you these grow to over
10 feet!

Not sure what sunchokes are. Do you eat them?

Yes.

Any drawbacks to planting them?

They can be terribly invasive. J.R. in MI suggested that every last tuber
and root be removed. From what I hear, that's very difficult, as they can go
6 to 8 feet down. You only need to plant them once to have them for life.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/