Old 30-05-2006, 02:05 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Barrels
I am new to bamboo. I would like to know if it is possible to plant it
in a half whiskey barrel planter. It is 24 inches in diameter at the
top, 21 inches in diameter at the bottom and 18 inches deep. I am
thinking this would prevent it from spreading.
It is common to plant bamboo in containers. Containerised bamboo is considered a very fashionable accessory in your garden here in Britain.
For example, here is an article on it:
http://www.mjbanks.co.uk/containers.htm
They are more work than bamboos grown in the ground. Some varieties are more suitable than others.

If you were thinking of sinking the wooden barrel into the ground as long term containment for bamboo in a shrub border, that probably wouldn't be the best way of doing it.