Old 30-05-2006, 11:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
John

Default Daffodils From Seed?

At last, a question that a novice gardener like me can answer!

The seeds are not in the bulbs, they're what's left of the flowers a few
weeks after the petals drop off. There should be a nut-sized husk at the
end of the stem where the flower once was. When it dries of its own
accord it will open and there will be a bunch of shiny black seeds
inside. The web sites I've seen all concur that it takes 5-6 years for
the seeded plants to flower, and that the resulting plants will not
always be identical to the original parent plant. So you're in for a
surprise.

J.

Bette wrote:

Truly, I did not know one could plant daffodils from seeds.
Also when I do replant them, should it be in the fall? I have my bulbs
in a paper bag where it is dark. They are cut close allowing the root
to be inserted in the ground.
Thanks.
Bette