Old 30-05-2006, 02:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Zeppo

Default Cat damage to lawn?

"George.com" wrote in message

"Stikeebun" wrote in message

Hi, my friend has a sloping west facing lawn and lives in the North East
UK. He also has a huge sycamore tree in the far corner, next to the
lawn. Unfortunately because of quite a wet winter, he didnt go out
into the garden for quite a while, and when he did there were numerous
bald patches in the lawn, about a foot across.

The areas where there was no grass growing were quite flat and with no
weeds. Could this be cat damage or maybe through fallen leaves being
allowed to lay on the lawn? He has used weed and feed before, but not
since the summer last year.

Now he is trying to grow some grass seed he has sprinkled on. What if
any deterrents are there for cats on grass? I thought they liked the
soil to scratch about in?

no, if your cats are lazy like mine they just shit on the lawn. Even if
there are garden dug over for them to shit in they prefer the lawn.

Luckily
for me it is winter and the shit gets washed away fairly quickly. It could
be cats although a foot across is quite a big patch so it need to be a big
cat shit. I have just mown up some leaves and noticed bald patches as

well.
If you have several months of temperate wet weather ahead of you, and
dependant on the type of grass, some of the dead looking grass should
recover if it is cat shit or leaves.

rob

Years back when I used to let my cats outdoors I found it was cat pee, not
shit, that was killing patches of grass. Though it would have to be a damn
big cat to kill a foot-wide spot.

Jon