Old 30-05-2006, 02:13 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Default poor plant growth...San Antonio

Corn needs several rows because it is wind pollinated and if you use
containers to grow it, you'll be constantly watering. None of what
you are trying to grow does well in containers, unfortunately.

Miracle Gro should never be used as a fertilizer. It is synthetic
nitrogen. Hasta Gro has a liquid fertilizer which, while not purely
organic, is much better for healthy plants. Get that in the organic
section of any garden center.

On Sun, 28 May 2006 23:00:19 -0500, (Linda) wrote:

Planted several things in MiracleGro potting soil. My sunflowers got a
whopping 18". My indian corn got maybe 24". My squash got 10". My
Four O'Clocks are about 8 or 10". Bought a start of Sea Holly - it's
about 5". Most had a sickly pale green/yellowish color. What is going
on? In Oregon I just planted those things in the sandy soil, never
fertilized, just watered. The sunflowers were 6 or 7 feet tall, the
indian corn got about the same, my Four O'Clocks were about 3' and
bushy....well, you get the idea. Why is nothing growing well here? Is
there something I should have been doing? Oh, and the poor tomato
plant...too sad to tell! I thought the store-bought potting soil would
be the right thing to use. Advice?