Old 30-05-2006, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kevin Smith

Default New House - Naff Lawn!

Thanks Janet,

Assuming I wanted to grow a lawn again which weedkiller should I use?

Kevin

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Kevin Smith" contains these words:

Hi everyone, looking for some advice.

The lawn in my new place is a disaster - the grass (where there is
grass) is
hip high. It is populated with moss,

unusual for such tall grass!

weeds and worst of all the ground
appears to be 70% brick rubble and 30% dead dirt. Its in just about the
worst condition possible. What would be the best rescue plan? I am just
looking to finish with a half decent lawn but I am unsure where to start.
The stones are so bad I am worried I will break the lawnmower if I take
it
out there!

Grass that tall is not a lawn variety Cut it down to 5" or so with a
hand scythe or strimmer (that high, you should avoid hitting any bricks
and flying debris etc) then either, weedkill the lot. Burn off the dead
debris if you can borrow a flame gun. Remove all the stones and rubble.
Only then will you be able to assess what needs to be done to the
remaining soil before remaking the lawn.

Are you sure you want to replace it with a lawn? It sounds like a
handy ready-made base for paving or gravel. Decide before you start
because that would affect which weedkiller you use.

Janet.

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry