Old 30-05-2006, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk

Default Lemon balm - uses in the kitchen?

dave or stella @ stejonda wrote:
In message .com,
"Cat(h)" writes
Last spring, I planted a lemon balm in my luxury herb bed. The plant
was tiny, but this year it really has come into its own and looks
glorious in the middle of all the other herb perenials which are
crowding the bed.

Next year its tiny seedlings will be everywhere and the year after that
there will be seedlings in next doors garden too.

Yes. It is definitely not one to allow to set seed or there will be
literally thousands of them next year. It smells nice near a path where
it gets bruised by passers by but is pretty useless in the kitchen. The
variagted form is a bit less vigorous.

I would grub it out if it is in a bed with any delivate herbs you
actually want to survive!

Regards,
Martin Brown