Old 30-05-2006, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy

Default Replacing dead plants

"Sacha Hubbard" wrote in message
al.net...

Just a bit of mild curiosity and a small personal survey. ;-) What does
the panel think is a reasonable time in which to take back a dead plant
and
expect a replacement? Some nurseries have definite policies on this, I
know
but I'd like to have an idea of customers' reactions for my own
curiosity's
sake. We had someone bring back a Weigela today which she'd had for a
year
and had taken to Berkshire where it has died. We did replace it and on
the
whole, I'd say we tend to do that sort of thing but it would never have
occurred to me to bring back a year old plant for replacement!
The only time we've refused to do so is when someone brought back a
Meyer's
lemon tree and swore up, down and sideways that he hadn't a) over-watered
it
and b) hadn't let it get frosted. As it showed unmistakable signs of
both,
he was refused another one when he requested it on the grounds that he'd
only
kill that one, too. But he did get his money back.
--
Sacha

Well I bought a Scabious from Hillhouse in March, and planted it out in my
garden after about a week lolling around in the greenhouse. Within a month
it was obviously dead, and I had even watered it in, not that it needed it
really, but I took the view it was just a bad 'un anyway, no one to blame.

It'd cost me a similar amount in petrol to bring it back for a refund as
it'd cost to buy a new one, so you're one up on that one!

Andy.