Old 30-05-2006, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

Default "Wild" Pumpkin Vine Question

"lwhaley" wrote in
oups.com:

What this all means is that your brother is probably right.
Your vine will produce something but you don't know what.
I will likely be green like your bro said and may not be
good for anything other than an autumn display. In any
case, you can keep the vine around as an experiment if you
are curious. If you want or expect actual pumpkins then
you would destroy it.

ok, WHY would it likely be green? i've grown maybe 30 or 40
volunteer pumpkins in my life and never once have i ended up
with green pumpkins. yellow ones, striped ones, lots of orange
ones. no green ones except those that didn't ripen.
i would *expect* any pumpkin seed that was in a birdseed mix
to be from a field type pumpkin anyway, so, edible but very
low in sugar, fibrous & watery. it's parents were most likely
developed for livestock feed, not human consumption (which
doesn't make it inedible, just not as tasty & easy to use as a
sugar pumpkin, which is a fairly recent development)
lee
--
"Fascism would be better described as corporatism,
since it is marriage between the state and business"