Old 30-05-2006, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

Default Snake weed?

enigma wrote:

Bill R wrote in
:

The snakes are harmless Gardner snakes. They do eat a lot
of bugs and I haven't seen a mouse around here in years.
The kids get a great kick out of them too.

GARTER snakes, or possibly ribbon snakes. there is no such
snake as a gardner snake
and garter snakes don't eat mice. they eat insects, worms &
(unfortunately) toads & frogs. you have some other variety of
snake to thank for your lack of mice. considering your
location, i'd guess milk snakes.
lee being pendantic

You are technically correct (their true name is garter snake). In many
parts of the country they are called garden or gardner snakes and that
is what us old timers call them here.

And they do eat small rodents. Years ago I saw a rather large one with
a big lump in his throat and a mouse tail sticking out of its mouth.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL