Old 30-05-2006, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Claire Petersky

Default Do Earth worm castings contain worm egg

"Wylie Wilde" wrote in message
u...

I noticed however- in a nearby park- there seems to be quite a bit of
wormcastings, ie a collection of dark small dirt balls. I heard that the
wormcastings may contain worm eggs.

So I was wondering whether its worthwhile collecting the wormcastings and
placing them in my compost bin so as to rear earthworms? Would that work?

Earthworms are different from the red wiggler worms that commonly live in
the compost heap. I don't know if the worm casings contain eggs, but if you
wanted to try this, move them from one environment to a like environment.
Unless you're taking the casings from a compost heap or similar in the park,
they're unlikely to thrive in your worm box.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/