Old 30-05-2006, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
Snooze

Default Do Earth worm castings contain worm egg

"Wylie Wilde" wrote in message
u...
Thanks Claire,

I should have said I'll place them in my garden bed - not the compost bin-
it will be too hot for the nightcrawlers there.

But would the worm castings contain any worm eggs at all?

Worm castings is just worm poop. Earthworm egg cocoons are difficult to find
and see. You probably have earthworms, but they're probably hiding in deeper
soil levels.

If you really want to see if you have earthworms, here's an easy way. Buy an
18" clay water tray. The kind that go under the largest outdoor clay pot.
place it upside down in a shady area of the garden. Stuff as many grass
clippings, and leaves as you can under the tray. Periodically pour some
water on the top of the tray, just enough to moisten the tray.

Wait a few months, to a year. You'll see worm castings, parts of worm
tunnels, maybe an earthworm or two.

-S