Old 30-05-2006, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

Default pesticides

Alan wrote:

Here is what I bought so far and please tell me if this stuff is bad.
I am on Long Island in NY and we have a slug and snail problem and I
think we had other insects last year but I don't remember which.

Sluggo and those productsd are not available here.

Maxide Slug & Snail Killer- Wife bought that for flowers

Ortho Bug-GETA - I bought that for the slugs and snails\

I've been gardening for years and have yet to need any chemical means to
control snails or slugs (or any insect). There are tons of non-toxic
alternatives. Mulch, rough lumber, copper barriers, landscape fabric,
beer traps, DE...the list goes on. Most of these alternatives (mulch,
lumber, copper) require little maintenance whereas your snail killers
have to be continuously reapplied.

(And I'm not a anti-chemical freak-a-zoid. I use fungicide on my
tomatoes and potatoes and will use a selective herbicide for some weeds
in the lawn...but if a non-toxic alternative exists and is effective,
I'll certainly use it.)

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.