Old 30-05-2006, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Me here

Default Tree still rocking

"Crag" wrote in message
Evening,

12-18 months ago I planted an apple tree (Malice- John Downey, 10-12 feet)
however it still rocks about in its original root ball. It is growing well
and has just had masses of blossom on it so, health-wise, it appears to be
ok.

I have planted another tree since and that's as solid as a rock so I was
wondering what the problem, and solution to, is with the JD.

If you have space you can stabilise the trunk with 3 wires attached to a
suitable tree tie (Google for Toms Tree Ties) and anchor it to the ground
with good spikes.
Firm up the surrounding soil around the root ball wit ha tamper or the head
of a sledge hammer and backfill. Don't over tamp too near the roots.