Old 30-05-2006, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
nblomgren

Default Daffodils From Seed?

On Mon, 29 May 2006 07:10:20 -0400, John wrote:

My goodness, I had no idea that daffodils had such an ardent following.

I think I'll plant a patch with the seeds that I collected anyway, just
to see what happens. The daffodils have been successful in my yard
without any input from me (beyond their original planting), so what the
heck. Unless the results are butt ugly, I'll keep them and call it
"variety." I'll report back in 5 or 6 years.

Thanks!

J.

Be careful where you plant them. They're almost impossible to get rid
of. We have a patch next to the sidewalk, and they create a mess every
spring when they're done blooming. I dug out five pounds of bulbs,
gave them away, and the next spring
THEY WERE BACK!

So I then excavated everything -- bulbs and dirt.

They came back again!

I've been told that the new bulbs that are generated are the size of a
grain of sand, and because of that escape almost all efforts to
physically remove them.

I love daffodils. But I'd prefer they were somewhere else.

--nb