Old 31-05-2006, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jack Schmidling

Default Mums

In 10 years of trying, we have yet to have a mum survive the Winter here
in Northern Illinois. My mom had mums for years with no winter die-off
but that was many years ago.

I get the feeling that someone is cheating on the old family recipe when
it comes to contemporary mums. No matter where or when we buy them or
what claims are made or where we plant them, they never survive the Winter.

Any ideas?

On a tangent, we did learn that we can buy any old mum in Fall and enjoy
it as a potted plant on the deck, keep it alive over Winter in the shop
window and then put it out in Spring and guess what? They bloom in May
and continue all Summer. Not only that but one plant will get to about
the size of a bushel basket and be nearly a solid mass of flowers.

Sadly, they still do not survive the Winter.

js