Old 30-05-2006, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Elaine

Default "Wild" Pumpkin Vine Question

I found this interesting link on DNA and Alleles in pumpkins:
www.pumpkinnook.com/howto/genetics.htm
"Alleles are what make us, and pumpkins, all unique. For example, green,
orange, red and yellow are all separate alleles for the "color" gene in
pumpkins.
One final point to keep in mind is that the genetics of the pollen
fertilizing the female flower have no effect on the growing pumpkin. The DNA
contained within the pollen is passed on to the seed of the pumpkin.
Therefore, the traits exhibited by a growing pumpkin are the direct result
of the female's parents. When making a cross, you are actually preparing the
genetics of the next generation of pumpkins!"

Very Interesting....well as the baby grows I will post pictures of the
finished product and let you guys know how it turns out and thank you all.
Elaine

"Elaine" wrote in message
. ..
Thank you for responding. It is in morning afternoon sun, dappled middle
of
the day and judging by it's growth rate seems to get getting enough light.
water it when I give my real plants a drink. It is in very rich soil but a
little on the acid side probably. I know nothing about growing Pumpkins.
Can you fill me in on some simple facts other than what I have listed I am
doing?.
How to fertilize and when? Some fruits have set now. Are they similar to
growing gourds?
I have some birdhouse gourd vines I am growing now but other than a few
tomato plants, I am not
much of a veggie gardener.

As for my brother thinking it will stay green...who knows. Probably from
something he read at sometime. He is a bit of a trivial nut

I will ask the neighbor more about what kind of seeds he used and let you
know more on the genes..
Here's what it looks like if that will help ID it.
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/commun...iew=thumbs&ck=

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/commun...iew=thumbs&ck=

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Elaine" wrote in
news
Anyway my brother "the farmer of
the family" said it would never have orange pumpkins, just
green ones. Anybody know if this is true?

is it in full sun? there's no reason it wouldn't have orange
pumpkins if it's parents were orange pumpkins. if they weren't
it might have white, yellow or bluish colored pumpkins. in
other words, a pumpkin will ripen to the color it's genetics
follow. there's no reason this pumpkin vine won't grow & ripen
fruit if it's in sun, has good soil & gets water. all pumpkins
start with green fruit.
why does your brother think it won't ripen?
lee growing 7 verities of pumpkins
--
"Fascism would be better described as corporatism,
since it is marriage between the state and business"