Old 30-05-2006, 11:18 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Shade + Large Dog = New Grass Needed

I have a shady back yard. I also have a large golden retriever who
likes to play and romp back there about 30 minutes a day. Needless to
say, this combination has been hard on my grass, and I now have patches
of bare earth that need to be covered. I've calculated how much will
need to be re-sodded and have estimated it will take a little more than
a pallet.

My questions a

1. What sort of grass should I use? I've got St. Augestine, and it's
not standing up to the dog. I've heard a lot about Zoysia and am
leaning toward that.

2. What sort of compost should I use? Given the smell and the dog, I'm
leaning away from the pure cow manure solution.