Old 31-05-2006, 01:15 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Default Shade + Large Dog = New Grass Needed

On Tue, 30 May 2006 17:59:22 -0500, Victor Martinez

1. What sort of grass should I use? I've got St. Augestine, and it's
not standing up to the dog. I've heard a lot about Zoysia and am
leaning toward that.

Zoysia grasses are really awesome, though I'm not sure they've quite
bred one that is dog-proof.

2. What sort of compost should I use? Given the smell and the dog, I'm
leaning away from the pure cow manure solution.

Compost made from manure does not smell like manure, it smells like
dirt. Geo growers and The Natural Gardener both make very good products,
check them out.

I would add one thing to your statement: Natural Gardener has
beautiful compost, but many times I've bought a yard of it while it
was still hot. So, I'd bring it home and add vegetative matter and
dry leaves and it would cook for about a month or so. If you can
smell ammonia, the compost needs to rest before you plant in it.